Hi everyone! Here is an update of our busy weekend. Every two years this day rolls around whether I want it to or not. Some of you may know that my husband grew up eating the best homemade applesause ever for every meal that he so chose. I fought this knowledge for the first seven years of our marriage, but then decided to give in and try making it myself. Luckily, the owner of the best applesause (my mother-in-law) helped me the first time around when I tried freezing applesause. It went fine and we enjoyed it for the next year. I then gave canning applesause a go and that was even better. We made it through two years on that go around and decided that was the best way to make it. My parents have come to whichever house we lived in at the time and helped with this project and honestly I would never try it without them. So it became time to make some more. Saturday dawned bright and sunny and we dove in. Jon and I went to one of our friendly orchards in Buffalo and got 4 crates of apples (which we thought was about 125 lbs, but really was about 200 lbs.). The kids cut them with our handy, dandy chopper and then we put them on the stove to cook down to mush. Dad then did all the hard work by putting it through the food mill (separating all of the skins, seeds and stems). We then put it back on the stove where we added the seasonings before putting it into the jars to be sealed. All in all we were at it for about 11 hours, but came away with 73 quarts of pretty yummy applesause.Don, Jen and the girls came over for dinner that night so here is me showing off my nieces yet again! Josh, Jamie and Jared finished their first week of school and all are adjusting very nicely to the new year. Thanks for checking in and have a great week.


2 comments:
Hi There,
You don't know me but I'm a friend of Jon & Dawns and followed a link to your blog from theirs. I was curious because I am a High too. Well I was, before I got married. I wonder if we're related. I'm a grandaughter of Ed & Priscilla. Anyway, I was checking out your applesauce making, something I also do this time of year. I have a suggestion for making life easier...it's a victorio strainer. Just google it and you'll see what I mean. When I make sauce I just quarter the apples and cook them. I dump them in the hopper and turn the crank (the kids love to do this!). Sauce comes out one way and the seeds, skins, etc. come out the other. You can do an entire pot of apples in just a few turns. Congratulations on your hard work! The cans look great! A winter of delicious applesauce!
You seem very ambitious to make all that applesauce! I just found your blog today. I hope we can keep in touch over the blogging world.
Post a Comment